For neutral or sweet dishes, you can make this dairy-free cream whatever consistency or sweetness is appropriate for the recipe. Add more water and you have a plant-based heavy cream. Sweeten it with honey or maple syrup, and add a flavoring such as vanilla, almond extract, or lemon zest. Once it’s in your repertoire, you can vary it for many different uses. Super thick and it’s vegan whipped cream.
Makes approximately 3 ½ cups
2 cups raw cashews, halves and pieces are fine
- Rinse cashews under cold water, then cover with water and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain cashews and rinse under cold water again.
- Place cashews in a food processor or heavy duty blender and add enough water to cover them. Purée until you have desired consistency. Keep in mind that the cream will thicken in the refrigerator, but you can add a little more water as needed.
- Plan ahead: You need to put the cashews up to soak the night before you need the cashew cream.
- Refrigerates for 3 days; freezes for 1month. You may need to reblend after freezing.
- For a thinner cream, add a bit more water to the food processor; for a thicker cream, add less.