Here’s wonderful sandwich for lunch, a picnic, or to pair with soup for a light dinner. It’s rich in protein and laden with other nutrients because of the avocado, cucumber, sprouts, and whole-grain bread.
Servings: 8 sandwiches
2 8-ounce packages Lightlife tempeh, original flavor
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons Pickapeppa Sauce, original flavor
3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
Salt and pepper to taste
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced
1 small red onion, skinned and sliced
1 cup Hampton Creek Just Mayo or other vegan mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Sriracha Hot Sauce
Juice of ½ lemon
2 large tomatoes, sliced
1 avocado, pitted, scooped from skin and sliced
Fresh sprouts of your choice
16 slices of your favorite whole-grain bread (gluten-free if you like)
- Cut thin slices of tempeh on an angle.
- For the tempeh marinade, mix Pickapeppa Sauce, Bragg Liquid Aminos, garlic, and salt and pepper together. Marinate the tempeh slices for a few minutes, then sauté the tempeh in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a skillet until brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Sauté the onion in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil for 5-8 minutes until slightly browned. Set aside.
- For the chipotle mayonnaise, mix the vegan mayo, Sriracha, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To assemble each sandwich, spread the chipotle mayonnaise on two slices of bread. Next place a large slice of tomato on one piece of bread. Add sautéed tempeh, a few cucumber slices, some sautéed onion, and an avocado slice, and sprouts. Top with the second piece of bread and slice the sandwich in half. Repeat with remaining ingredients.