Makes approximately 1 cup
1 head of garlic
2 large tomatoes
2 red bell peppers
¼ cup olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
¾ cup red wine vinegar
1 whole sprig of oregano
1 whole sprig of thyme
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roast the garlic (see Etc. section).
- While roasting the garlic, also roast the tomatoes and peppers separately, each tossed with oil, salt,and pepper for 20 to 25 minutes, or until charred.
- When the tomatoes and peppers are cool enough to handle, peel, seed, and chop them separately. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar with the roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic pulp, and herbs. Cook until the tomatoes break down, about 20 minutes. Add the roasted peppers and simmer for another 15 minutes. Remove the herb sprigs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Purée using an immersion blender or food processer, then stir in honey.
- Refrigerates for 3 to 5 days.