This is our go-to substitution in any recipe that calls for a butter- and flour-based sauce.
Makes approximately 2 ½ cups
Prepare in advance
Rinse cashews and soak in 2 cups
warm water for an hour or more.
3 medium-size shallots, chopped
1 medium-size onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons coconut oil or grapeseed oil
4 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup raw cashews, soaked
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. On medium heat, sauté shallots, onion, and garlic in oil until soft.
2. Add carrots and celery and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add cashews and their soaking water and cook until vegetables are soft.
4. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes, then blend in food processor until smooth.
5. Add lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Continue to blend in food processor until very smooth. Add more water to adjust the consistency of the sauce, if needed.
• Can refrigerate for 3 days or freeze for 1 month.