Easy as can be, these potatoes bring comfort food to new heights. They really are smashed,
exposing a lot of surface area to absorb the seasonings as they bake the second time around.
No matter how many potatoes come out of the oven, the platter is always laid bare.
Prepare in advance
Nutty Parm (see Etc. section)
For the potatoes
8 red skin or new potatoes, skins on
¼ cup rub (recipe follows)
1 Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick
Nutty Parm, for sprinkling
For the rub
Makes ¼ cup
leaves from 4 sprigs of rosemary, chopped
leaves from 4 sprigs thyme, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
zest of 2 lemons
¼ cup minced garlic
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork and bake directly on the oven rack until almost soft, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in a baking dish and smash them with a large spoon.
- Sprinkle the rub on top of the potatoes and top each with a pat of Earth Balance and a sprinkling of Nutty Parm.
- Return the potatoes to the oven and bake until done, approximately 20 minutes.
- You can bake the potatoes and refrigerate them overnight. When ready to serve: smash, season, and finish baking them in a preheated oven.