The Cobb salad is a popular American garden salad typically used as a main dish. Conventional Cobb salads would include bacon and chicken but Chef Valerie veganized it here for us using marinated eggplant “bacon” and Beyond Meat’s Grilled Chicken Strips. It’s a real crowd pleaser at the Spiral House. You’ll also think of lots of ways to use this eggplant bacon.
Ingredients for Salad
1 medium eggplant
2 heads Romaine lettuce, chopped
1 pound button mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and sliced
1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
2 avocados, pitted and cubed
1 English cucumber, partially peeled and sliced
1 bag Beyond Meat Chicken Strips
Ingredients for the Marinade
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
⅛ teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel eggplant, cut in quarters lengthwise, and thinly slice each quarter so that slices are the size of traditional bacon.
- To make the marinade for the eggplant, use a whisk to mix the soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, chili powder, 2 teaspoons granulated garlic, paprika, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of the Worcestershire sauce. Brush marinade on both sides of the eggplant slices. Bake slices for 15 minutes on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Remove eggplant from oven, brush more marinade on both sides again, and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven. The eggplant slices can remain on the cookie sheet until you are ready to use them.
- Cook the Beyond Chicken with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil for a couple minutes until heated through, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Arrange prepared vegetables, Beyond Chicken, and Eggplant “Bacon” in rows on a platter as shown.
Ingredients for Vegan Ranch Dressing
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup chives, chopped
2 teaspoons onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Method for Vegan Ranch Dressing
- With a whisk, blend all dressing ingredients together.
- Serve in a small pitcher on the side of the salad.